Monday, January 2, 2012

Twice the Sons of Hell

It is a fascinating thing to watch people in today’s church. I don’t suspect that times are any different than they were in the days gone by… nevertheless, it still amazes me that we haven’t learned from those past examples.

One would be amazed at the amount of people that are stuck in the world of “asinine.” Shouldn’t we be beyond the point to where we judge by appearance? If I was simply speaking of new Christian people then that would be one thing. Yet, we have long time “Christian’s” and even Ministers that cannot understand that God could care less about the outward.



We had a young man in a church where I was recently a minister at.. this young man spent time in a Federal Prison for bank robbery. He has spent his time as a drunk and a drug addict. He has enough tattoo’s to cover several people. Certainly he has the past that would add meaning to “the old man.” However, it seems that there is very little that he can do to get folks to get beyond his old man and see the new. Rest assured that everyone says that they see it… but their actions far from show it. The looks… the hesitation when he speaks… the lack of listening when he recommends… all of that makes clear that folks “see” and yet they still can’t see.

When I moved to Tennessee several years ago... I faced a stigma. As a minister, it was expected of me to “dress appropriately.” By appropriate dress these folks don’t mean to be modest and clean. The mean to dress how they see appropriate for a minister to dress. A suit (dark and conservative) with a power tie would be nice… toss in some wingtip shoes and I’m all the sudden a “PREACHER!” Problem is… I have seen many of these dressed preachers preach and I see how they act, react, or don’t act at all. I wouldn’t give a plug nickel for any of them truth be told and the idea that they are in fact “called by the Lord to preach” is something that I would greatly question. As a result, I wouldn’t wear a suit and a tie unless God Himself tells me to do it. Some might think that being rebellious and while I would say I am clearly being a rebel… there isn’t a rebellious bone in my body. I attended a church where we have men that don’t even own a suit and a tie. None of them have ever worn one since the first time I entered the church. I know of one of the elder lay-leaders who actually had to borrow a suit to wear on his wedding day. Why would I want to get all gussied up just to appease a bunch of self-righteous old men that think clothing is what makes a man of God?

I think of some of the attire worn in Scripture. Back when a prophet was told to give Israel an object lesson… going naked or even like John the Baptist who would have never made the “TOP 1 Billion Best Dressed Jews” list.

Then there is the ever present “OH MY GOODNESS… LISTEN TO THE MUSIC THEY ARE PLAYING!!!” There is a sure fired clue that one is a heathen on their way to the eternal lake of fire where the worm never dies! That’s too contemporary! That’s sounds to much like Rock… I mean listen to it… they actually have drums playing or some such! Drums and a fast beat… there you go! I read that somewhere in Scripture as a sure-fired ticket to that great big “fry-daddy” in the ground.

Women wearing makeup and jewelry... I remember the day when that made you nothing but a two-bit whore.


Come on Church… Wake up! None of this sort of mess matters and all folks are doing is going to the ends of the world for a convert and then making them twice the sons of hell that they themselves are. Judge one by their fruit. Not the clothes. Not the body markings. Not the jewelry nor the style of Christian music they listen to. We're running people away because of our self-righteous nonsense and we have to stop!

Call it a hunch from just one of the watchmen on the wall. Repent! Turn to God! Redeem the time while there is still time to redeem!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha... you know all that I'd say to this!! Well, besides... HOOAH! I could say much and this is coming for the dude with the Jesus tattoo that brought you some hell from those who are twice the sons of hell.

    Ya even wonder why Jesus did some hanging out and ministering to the sinners of His time? Not many realize that it's because by His example, we're to hang out as led by Him, to minister to the sinners of OUR time. Cept, many are too busy pointing fingers and they PRACTICE that finger pointing at their own brothers and sisters already in the Body of Christ... so what sinner would want to join in and have fingers pointed at them???

    Thus one of the reasons that those who are self-righteous are called... TWICE the sons of hell... it's because they get to point fingers TWICE. Once at a sinner because they are a sinner and a second time because once the sinner accepts Christ, they will find that finger pointed at them AGAIN if they don't walk and talk the self-righteous way.

    I'll stick to God's way and persevere through their finger pointing.

    Good word...

    Pastor Ken

    ReplyDelete